Design in the Z Innovation Refinery
We are looking for a passionate and customer-obsessed product and UX designer to join Z’s world-class Innovation Team.
We are a small, rogue team of relentlessly curious designers, researchers, creatives, and builders dedicated to improving Z’s customer experience through aggressive experimentation. We need more designers to translate deep customer understandings, balanced with business needs, into intuitive, functional and delightful experiences.
Experience design at Z is unique
A successful candidate for a passionate, customer-obsessed product and UX designer able to explore and translate complex interactions and communications into simple, engaging experiences. Intuitive, delightful, empathic design is key to delivering on this mission.
- The ideal candidate can create sketches, user-flows, wireframes, hi-fidelity mocks and functional prototypes to bring the customer journey to life. These concepts go through consumer research and iteration as new ideas progress through the stage gate process.
- The ideal candidate is an effective storyteller, with the ability to create diagrams, artefacts, illustrations, and print-ready material to communicate effectively.
- The ideal candidate is responsive, flexible and able to succeed in a fast-paced, collaborative commercial environment with little supervision, high emotional intelligence, and a curious orientation.
Experience designer responsibilities
Translate deep customer understanding balanced with business needs into intuitive, functional and delightful experiences.
- Create iterate concepts and prototypes for Z’s evolving context, including (but not limited to) retail, service, product, web, communication, and brand design. This context would require digital user experience and interface design expertise and visual design expertise. Ability to determine and work at the right level of fidelity for a given situation.
- Communicate design intent to both internal and external teams. Clearly rationalise and justify design work and advocate for users’ needs. Ability to effectively balance across design, content, business and marketing value.
- Partner with innovation managers, product managers, marketing managers, and stakeholders to validate designs through customer research and quickly iterate in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Support and facilitate internal and external workshops alongside other members of Z using human-centred tools and techniques.
Qualifications and skills required
- Minimum of 4-years of experience as a UX/UI Designer, Product Designer, Interaction Designer, Graphic Designer, or similar role including experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Portfolio of work demonstrating breadth and depth in visual and UX Design demonstrating your ability to turn ideas into a strong and unique creative vision. This should also include an approach and process.
- Experience in a variety of design and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, Framer, Invision App, etc.).
Advantageous qualifications and skills
- BA/BS in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related qualification.
- Ability to sketch and illustrations in a variety of styles and fidelity to support design and to communicate effectively.
- Understanding of Experimental Psychology, Anthropology or Ethnography.
- Demonstrated history of acquiring user data (e.g., conducting usability studies, user interviews, contextual inquiry).
- HCD or Service Design knowledge and experience.
- Retail design expertise.