The benefits of tallow
Z Bio D is produced in New Zealand from inedible tallow, a locally sourced by-product of the New Zealand agricultural industry that would otherwise be shipped overseas for other uses.
We are confident that tallow is the most suitable option for producing Z Bio D that is good for New Zealand and is as sustainable as possible. Z developed strict sustainability and quality assurance criteria before selecting tallow, the main feedstock component used to make Z Bio D.
Tallow benefits include the following:
- It does not compete with food production as it is a by-product of an existing industry.
- It is locally sourced and does not adversely impact on the environment.
- It does not require any additional processes for manufacturing that would impact on the lower carbon benefits of biodiesel.
- There is a sufficient and long term supply. The available supply of tallow in New Zealand is sufficient to supply Z’s current Wiri plant currently, as well as if we upgraded to a full 40 million litres per annum capacity (as well as a further two to three biodiesel plants of a similar capacity).
- It does not, in any way, create additional demand for animals. The tallow used in Z’s biodiesel is an existing by-product of the New Zealand agricultural industry that would otherwise be shipped overseas.